Tokyo Ghoul (Japanese: 東京喰種-トーキョーグール- Hepburn: Tōkyō Gūru?) is a manga series by Sui Ishida. It was serialized in Shueisha's seinen mangamagazine Weekly Young Jump between September 2011 and September 2014 and has been collected in fourteen tankōbon volumes as of August 2014. A sequel titled Tokyo Ghoul:re began serialization in the same magazine in October 2014 and a prequel titled Tokyo Ghoul: JACK is running online on Jump Live. A 12-episode anime television series adaptation by studio Pierrotaired on Tokyo MX between July and September 2014 and a 12 episode second season titled Tokyo Ghoul √A, started airing on January 8, 2015.Funimation has licensed the anime series for streaming and home video distribution in North America.
The prequel series Tokyo Ghoul: JACK follows the youths of Kishou Arima and Taishi Fura, two characters from the main series who become acquainted when they join forces to investigate the death of Taishi's friend by the hands of a ghoul, leading to Taishi eventually following Arima's path and joining the CCG (Commission of Counter Ghoul), the federal agency tasked into dealing with crimes related to ghouls as well.
The sequel series Tokyo Ghoul:re follows an amnesiac Kaneki under the new identity of Haise Sasaki, the leader of a special team of CCG investigators called "Quinx Squad", that underwent a similar procedure as his, allowing them to obtain the special abilities of Ghouls in order to fight them, but still being able to live as normal humans.
- Ken Kaneki (金木 研 Kaneki Ken?)/Haise Sasaki (佐々木 琲世 Sasaki Haise?)
- Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae
- The protagonist of the story, he is an 18 year old university freshman that receives an organ transplant from Rize, who was trying to kill him before she was struck by a fallen i-beam and seemingly killed. After the operation he develops ghoul like tendencies and characteristics, and his rationality begins to wane. As one that is now both ghoul and human he struggles to keep his ghoul identity secret, always fighting against his ghoul side while trying to continue to live like a normal human. He later works as a waiter for Anteiku under Yoshimura's guidance. After his fight with Amon he gains the name "Eye Patch" because of his mask's design and becomes somewhat famous after a ghoul saw him defeating the investigator. He loves to read and is normally quiet and reserved but can be calculating when fighting. He has a bad trait of easily trusting strangers which sometimes puts him in life threatening situation. After being kidnapped by the ghoul run organization known as Aogiri Tree, he is mercilessly tortured by a sadistic ghoul and later develops similar traits like his torturer. While being tortured he has hallucinations of Rize as she mocks him about his mother which leads to him finally embracing his inner ghoul, leading him to become a ruthless Anti Hero. His view on strength changes and he goes on a power hungry path by cannibalizing other ghouls in order to get stronger. The continued cannibalization led him to become a half kakuja, where he develops a centipede shaped kagune and gains the alias "Centipede".
- Ken is ultimately defeated and captured by Arima, and with no memories of his past, is given the new identity of Haise Sasaki, member and ace of the Mado Squad, and mentor of the Quinx Squad, a special unit composed of half ghouls like him. Despite having a new identity, Haise still retains some traits from his former self, like the love for reading and the determination to protect his companions with his life. When pressured to the limit, Haise has glimpses of his former self and unlocks his powers as a half kakuja, forcing the CCG to strike him with RC suppressors to calm him down. Cherishing his job and friends, Haise refuses to remember his past but can't hold his feelings once he meets old friends from his time as Ken.
- Kishō Arima (有馬 貴将 Arima Kishō?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa
- The protagonist of Tokyo Ghoul:JACK and a co protagonist of Tokyo Ghoul:re, he is a famed Special Class Ghoul Investigator known as the CCG's Reaper (CCGの死神 CCG no Shinigami?). He is always seen wearing his glasses, with his face kept in an apathetic expression, rarely showing any emotion if not at all. Arima was hailed as a genius within the CCG, stemming from his affiliation with the organization since his teens and quickly rising to the top. Fighting with multiple quinques, he is strong enough to defeat Ghouls that are too strong to be defeated by anyone else in the force. After defeating Ken, he takes him under his guard while he's under the new identity of Haise Sasaki and becomes his mentor, with orders to kill him should he go out of control.
- Taishi Fura (富良 太志 Fura Taishi?)
- The other protagonist of Tokyo Ghoul:JACK, Taishi is a First Class Ghoul Investigator. Fura, as a teenager, attended Seishin Senior Highschool along with Arima. Though he never liked school, he usually went shopping and did all the housework, since his mother never did. He had two childhood friends; Ryou, with whom he played baseball and Aki, a girl whom he had a crush on. When Ryou associated himself with a gang of bikers, this lead to his death, as he was stabbed by the Kagune of a killer ghoul, "Lantern," whom Arima was currently investigating. Witnessing his friend's tragic death, Fura grew heated for vengeance, and pleaded with Arima to help with his investigation, wanting to know about ghouls right away. Thus, he eventually undertook the career of Ghoul Investigation.
- Tōka Kirishima (霧嶋 董香 Kirishima Tōka?)
- Voiced by: Sora Amamiya
- A sixteen year-old ghoul of the 20th ward, that works part-time as a waitress in Anteiku and attends high school. She blends in well with human society and believes that keeping one's ghoul identity is of top most priority. She is sometimes vindictive and is usually a very rash and reckless individual with violent tendencies. She also isn't afraid to let anyone know when she is not fond of them. She later becomes Ken's training partner, and their movements become in synch when fighting as a team. She is a good fighter and is more than a match for either Shū Tsukiyama or Nishiki Nishio on even grounds, though not nearly as strong as Renji. She later comes to be known as "Rabbit" after her attack on some investigators, killing one of them in the process. She takes up the role as Hinami's guardian after her parents are killed by investigators. She appears to have Ornithophobia. After the timeskip, she reappears running a new coffee shop called ":re" with Renji.
- Rize Kamishiro (神代 利世 Kamishiro Rize?)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- Rize is a girl with glasses that Ken encounters, who tries to eat him after luring him out on a date with her. Parts of her body are transplanted into Ken after she is struck by a fallen i-beam. Before the i-beam incident Rize was a very powerful, fearless and merciless ghoul, often preventing other ghouls from hunting in areas she stole from them. Before she came to the 20th ward, she wreaked havoc in the 11th ward attracting the Anti Ghoul Investigators to it. Before leaving she killed the ghouls that were in charge and caused a shift in power. She is known as the "Binge Eater" by investigators and like Ken she was very fond of reading. Originally believed to be killed during her encounter with Ken, later it is revealed that she is still alive and her body was used to produce materials for Ghoul/Human experiments by Dr. Kanou, and Ken's transformation into a ghoul was the result of one of them.
- Shū Tsukiyama (月山 習 Tsukiyama Shū?)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano
- He's one of the most troublesome ghouls of the 20th ward to the point where even some ghouls wouldn't get involved with him. He is known as the "Gourmet" by investigators and is one of the most difficult ghouls to capture. He is a part of the "Ghoul Restaurant" under the alias MM. He is a very powerful, cunning, smug, and fashionable ghoul and was also an acquaintance of Rize. Like both Ken and Rize he is an avid reader. He sometimes says words or phrases in either English, Spanish, French or Italian and develops an obsession for Ken. He is very athletic and proficient in martial arts.
- Yoshimura (芳村?)
- Voiced by: Takayuki Sugo
- The manager of Anteiku, he is a very kind and reasonable ghoul that provides aid and food to ghouls that are incapable of hunting on their own like Ken and Hinami. He takes Ken in after he becomes a half-ghoul and teaches him the ways in which ghouls can blend in with humans. He also has a mysterious past related to Aogiri. After Anteiku's secret is exposed and the place is raided by the CCG, he is rescued by his daughter, who is also a half-ghoul and part of the Aogiri Tree.
- Hinami Fueguchi (笛口 雛実 Fueguchi Hinami?)
- Voiced by: Sumire Morohoshi
- Hinami is a 13-14 year old ghoul that came to the 20th ward with her mother after her father was killed by ghoul investigators. She is very shy and yearns for knowledge as she isn't allowed to go to school. She meets Ken in Anteiku and becomes attached to him, seeing him as an older brother after he helps her with learning Kanji. She begins living with Touka after her mother is killed by Kureo. She enjoys books from one of Ken's favorite authors and loves learning new things. She is shown to have a heightened sense of smell, even more powerful than regular ghouls. In the sequel she is shown to be part of Aogiri Tree.
- Nishiki Nishio (西尾 錦 Nishio Nishiki?)
- Voiced by: Shintarō Asanuma
- A ghoul that is a second year student that attends the same university as Ken. He is arrogant and hates it whenever his juniors talk back to him. He is very territorial and is hostile to other ghouls that invade his space. His hunting grounds were stolen from him by Rize after a fight which he lost and he tries to reclaim it after her death, but is stopped by Touka. He is a loner and fairly good fighter that even small groups of ghouls tend to avoid. Like Touka he blends in well with human society, he even has a human girlfriend and is well known at the university. After the time skip, he becomes a powerful S~rank ghoul known as "Serpent", and goes around hunting down and killing CCG investigators as well as other ghouls. He seems to have a great dislike towards both CCG and Aogiri Tree commenting that they are the same and disgusting for creating "fake" ghouls.
- Renji Yomo (四方 蓮示 Yomo Renji?)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura
- Renji is quiet and reserved and usually helps Yoshimura out by collecting food for Anteiku. Before working behind the scenes for Anteiku, he used to have very violent tendencies much like how Touka is now and would often fight with Uta making the 4th ward uninhabitable. Regardless of his cold demeanor he does genuinely care about those around him. He is good friends with Uta and Itori.
- Uta (ウタ?)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- A ghoul that owns Hysy ArtMask Studio, in the 4th ward, he makes masks for both ghouls and human customers alike. Despite his appearance he is a very calm ghoul, and speaks very kindly, he is also close friends with Renji Yomo and Itori. In the past he would often get into fights with Yomo and this caused the 4th ward to become uninhabitable.
Commission of Counter Ghoul (CCG)
- Kōtarō Amon (亜門 鋼太朗 Amon Kōtarō?)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
- He's a Rank 1 Anti-Ghoul Investigator and was a partner of Kureo Mado up until his death which was when his partner was switched to Akira Mado up until he disappeared. When he was a little boy he used to live in an orphanage managed by the priest, Donato Porpora, until he found out that he was a ghoul killing his friends. He has a very strong sense of justice and believes that he must make this 'Wrong World' right by killing the ghouls whose murders create orphans, he is very dedicated to his job and begins to work even harder after Kureo is killed. He fought Ken but he lost; however, Ken let him go. After the events of the first manga, his status is unknown.
- Hideyoshi Nagachika (永近 英良 Nagachika Hideyoshi?)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Toyonaga
- Hideyoshi is Ken's best friend, nicknamed "Hide". He has a sharp intuition, so much so that while Ken tried to keep his ghoul identity hidden from him, Hideyoshi seemed to know something is weird about his best friend. After Ken disappeared, Hideyoshi joined the Anti-Ghoul forces in order to learn about his whereabouts, eventually being promoted to Rookie Investigator and partnered with Kōtarō and Akira.
- Kureo Mado (真戸 呉緒 Mado Kureo?)
- Voiced by: Tōru Ōkawa
- He was an Anti-Ghoul Investigator with the rank of Senior Investigator and worked with Kōtarō to try to achieve his goal. A very experienced and ruthless fighter, he was more than a challenge even for the physically superior ghoul and always trusted his intuition, which was never wrong. His ultimate downfall came from the fact that he was obsessed with quinques (weapons made from the ghouls' kagune) and while fighting Tōka and Hinami he let his guard down by his fascination with the latter, being killed by them. His daughter, Akira worked with his partner after his death. His goal was to get revenge on the "One-eyed Owl" ghoul for killing his wife.
- Akira Mado (真戸 暁 Mado Akira?)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto
- Kureo's daughter and a Ghoul Investigator like him, she became Kōtarō's partner after her father's death. She is an intelligent woman and seems to be always serious about work and her daily routine in general. Like her father, she has deep insight and intuition that helps her in investigation and determining what is going on around her while on the field. After Kōtarō was declared KIA, she became Haise's team leader and the overseer of the Quinx Squad.
- Jūzō Suzuya (鈴屋 什造 Suzuya Jūzō?)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya
- A young boy with an androgynous appearance. He was raised by ghouls until he was taken in by the CCG. He was promoted to a ranked 2 investigator within a year, indicating that he's very capable of exterminating ghouls. Jūzō is very independent and tends to not cooperate with his fellow comrades and superiors. His profiles says he likes candy, his Mama (the ghoul that raised him) and ghoul hunting. His behaviour is very childish and carefree and he his often seen talking with himself; he calls his other self Rei (his former name). In Tokyo Ghoul: re, Jūzō rises further in the CCG's ranks and becomes leader of his own squad.
- Kuki Urie (瓜江 久生 Urie Kuki?)
- A Rank 2 Ghoul Investigator who was the Squad Leader of the Quinx Squad until he was replaced with Ginshi. Kuki often displays himself as a cool-headed individual, but is reckless and vicious when confronting Ghouls, as he hates them with a passion, as his father was a special class investigator in charge of the S3 squad, who ordered his team members to retreat while he stayed to fight the One-Eyed Owl to the death. This hate also extended to Haise after he discovered that he is a half-ghoul instead of just a Quinx.
- Ginshi Shirazu (不知 吟士 Shirazu Ginshi?)
- A Rank 3 Ghoul Investigator and the Squad Leader of the Quinx Squad. Like most of his teammates, Ginshi is shown to have great respect for Haise. However, this doesn’t stop him from going out of his way to execute missions without Sasaki’s permission, and so he is constantly seen accompanying Urie, on dangerous assignments without support. His primary motive for joining the Quinx Squad is to get fast money for a yet unrevealed purpose, but his determination to help others earns him Haise's respect, to the point of nominating him the new leader.
- Tōru Mutsuki (六月 透 Mutsuki Tōru?)
- A Rank 3 Ghoul Investigator, Tōru was born female, but after losing her family to the Ghouls, decides to start acting and behaving as a man. Tōru struggles to keep his one eyed kakugan under control and has a recurring case of Anemia. Ironically, he feels repulsed when he comes in contact with blood. Despite that, he is the most diligent and reliable member of the team.
- Saiko Yonebayashi (米林 才子 Yonebayashi Saiko?)
- A Rank 3 Ghoul Investigator, Saiko dislikes having to work, as she prefers having a peaceful and carefree life, playing video games and eating junk food excessively. She often oversleeps, which earns her the absence from most missions.
Ghouls have similar anatomy as humans, but they have more RC cells, which are kept on an organ called "Kakuhou", which is where the Kagune comes from. They also have "Kakugan", which is their eyes, that become completely black with red pupils.
A kagune is a ghoul's predatory organ and functions as their weapon and claws. It is usually as red as blood (the colours are varied in the anime to distinguish the kagune of each individual); and flexible like the flow of water, but firm and sturdy. When released, a ghoul's physique is strengthened, they are more resilient and their mobility heightens. A kagune is composed of Rc cells, which flow just like blood, can become as solid as teeth and can be described as "liquid muscles". The Rc cells are released from a kakuhou piercing the skin, and the released Rc cells form the kagune. A kagune can be repeatedly hardened and softened at will by the ghoul.
Although a ghoul's healing ability is high, the healing of wounds tends to be delayed if the wounds are inflicted by a kagune. It is also evident that in order to counter a kagune in battle, one must also have a kagune, if not, at least something in relation to a kagune. Hence, Ghoul Investigators use kagune-based quinque as a tactical means to battle against ghouls.
An Ukaku kagune is spread out like feathers and is released from the shoulder area. The kagune is lightweight and can be used to deliver high-speed attacks against an adversary. The kagune is suited both for short-distance and long-distance attacks. Altogether, ukaku-type ghouls have a high chance to end the battle after a short time.
However, releasing the Rc cells extremely decreases stamina. Thus, ukaku-type users lack endurance and are at a disadvantage if the battle drags on for a long time.
Ukaku kagune can use their speed and mobility to shoot down a Bikaku-type user. However, a koukaku-type user can surprise an ukaku-type user by successfully guarding against the ukaku-type user's attacks, leaving the Ukaku vulnerable to counterattacks and exhausting the ukaku-type user in the long run.
Some Ukaku Ghouls are Touka Kirishima, Yoshimura, Eto, Renji Yomo, Kaya Irimi, Ayato Kirishima, Kazuichi Banjou, and Ginshi Shirazu.
A Koukaku kagune is metallic and released below the shoulder blade. This is achieved by a high density of Rc cells. It is heavy and extremely robust. Of all the kagunes, they have the greatest sturdiness and are especially suited for defense. Normally, they are generally shaped into armors or shields. But on the offense, they can be shaped like melee weapons such as drills, hammers or blades.
Due to its high weight, a koukaku's speed is inferior to all other kagunes and the kagune is hard to wield.
A koukaku can fend off an ukaku onslaught using its guarding capabilities. However, a rinkaku kagune can deliver severe strikes against the slow koukaku, breaking their kagune and breaching their defenses.
Some Koukaku users include Shuu Tsukiyama, Ryouko Fueguchi, Hinami Fueguchi, Arata Kirishima, Naki and Kuki Urie.
A Rinkaku kagune has an appearance similar to scaled tentacles and is released at the back around the waist. A rinkaku has powerful regenerative abilities and its peculiar appearance and structure yield a superior striking power. A rinkaku excels in brute strength.
This type's regenerative power is a result of the Rc cells easily binding together. Their Rc cells are more similar to liquids. However, this means that the binding force among the Rc cells must be weak, therefore making the kagune very brittle.
A rinkaku kagune can deliver severe strikes against the slow koukaku, penetrating the kagune and breaching the koukaku's defenses. However, a rinkaku has serious problems to fight against the balanced bikaku kagune: A bikaku has comprehensively high power, allowing them to fight against the brute-force rinkaku, and the rinkaku kagune's brittleness makes it comparatively easy for the bikaku to cut the kagune off. This disarms a rinkaku no matter how much strength it may possess, leaving the rinkaku at a disadvantage on the defensive.
Some Rinkaku Ghouls are Rize Kamishiro, Kaneki Ken, Kurona Yasuhisa and Nashiro Yasuhisa.
A Bikaku kagune typically has a tail-like appearance and is released around the tail-bone/coccyx. It is good for medium-distance attacks and has decent offense, defense and speed. Thus, they have no notable strengths or weaknesses like the kagune based on other Rc types, meaning the kagune itself is treated as a surprise "trump card."
A bikaku has better speed and durability against the brute-force, brittle rinkaku, allowing them to cut off the rinkaku's kagune. However, a bikaku will be overwhelmed by the faster ukaku user and will lose against the ukaku's long-range attacks.
The balanced characteristics makes the kagune a preferred quinque type for investigators.
Some Bikaku Ghouls are Nishiki Nishio, the Bin Brothers.
Further information: List of Tokyo Ghoul chapters
Tokyo Ghoul started as a manga series, written and drawn by Sui Ishida. It began serialization in 2011's 41st issue ofWeekly Young Jump, published by Shueisha on September 8, 2011, and the final chapter appeared in 2014's 42nd issue, released on September 18, 2014. The series has been collected in fourteen tankōbon volumes, released under Shueisha's Young Jump Comics imprint between February 17, 2012, and October 17, 2014. The series has been licensed for an English release by Viz Media and the first volume is set to be released on June 16, 2015.
A sequel titled Tokyo Ghoul:re began serialization in 2014's 46th issue of Weekly Young Jump, published on October 16, 2014. The series is set a couple of years after the end of the original series and introduces a new set of characters.
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation by Pierrot aired on Tokyo MX between July 3 and September 18, 2014. It also aired on TVA, TVQ, TVO, AT-X and Dlife. The opening theme song is "unravel" by TK from Ling Tosite Sigure, and the ending theme is "Saints" (聖者たち Seijatachi?) performed by People In The Box. Funimation has licensed the anime series for streaming and home video distribution in North America.